Thursday, January 1, 2009

Day 1

I don't know why, but the new year always puts this sort of pressure on me that puts me in a funk. It's like you have this new beginning, but there is so much I want to tackle and make new that it's too overwhelming.

A friend of mine on Facebook posted that she's going to be doing Project 365, and it just sounded like something I could maybe do myself. She's going to be focusing on her photography skills, and that sounds like a really good idea. I think I'll try going in that direction, but I might incorporate some other stuff as well.

So, here goes. Day 1 with a photo of my work space.


I figured it was a good way to start. I have my favorite tool in the house - our computer. It's on one of my working desks. Now I could embarrass myself and zoom out so you can see that both of my desks are piled high with stuff, but you'll just have to believe me.

Strategically placed in front of the computer is my Understand Exposure book by Bryan Peterson, which I believe I received for Christmas about three years ago. I spent a good 30-45 minutes digging through the unpacked boxes in the garage looking for this book (and finding all sorts of treasures).

I'm ashamed to say that I have not even flipped all the way through it. It's one of the books I hear about over and over again when anyone mentions a fantastic photography resource. It's about 150 pages and broken up into 2-3 page articles.

One of my challenges to myself will be to take the time to read through one of these articles a week and apply it to my photography. I have been saying for years that I want to learn how to shoot in manual, well, I'm going to make it one of my goals for this year and hopefully it will stick.

No comments:

Post a Comment