Friday, April 17, 2009

Day 107

We were in the area of our old house today, and I thought I'd drive by to see if it was looking any different. When we sold the house it struck me as kind of an odd experience because I'd never really had a situation where I'd moved and was still close enough to visit my old home. My experience growing up had always been to move across the country. I've done quite a bit of moving from apartments since I've been married and those pretty much look the same when you go back.

The story of our house is actually kind of sad to me. A month or so ago we discovered that the couple who purchased our home back in September were in a re-selling situation where it's fairly apparent that they were no longer able to make payments. While I had nothing to do with their financial decisions, it still makes me oddly feel like somehow we should have known not to sell to them.

It makes me sad in a different way as well because I knew that they were so excited to one day turn Paul's old room into a nursery. Part of the selling agreement was to keep the curtains and closet coverings in place, and the new people were so excited to have them. In a way, I was okay with it because I could start over in the new house, but I was also sad because they were part of my first baby's nursery. Now I'll never know if the first thing the newest people do is take those decorations down.

As for the house, it looks quite a bit the same. The new people took out all of the plants in the front and added one new bush off to the side. I can only assume that they had a master plan that didn't work out. One of the first things we did when we moved in was plant all of the bushes and flowers that they were so quick to remove.


I guess it's just hard not to be a bit sentimental (and a tad critical over any changes) with your first home.



No comments:

Post a Comment