Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Day 118

I am a cloth diapering momma. About six months into my pregnancy with Matt, I decided that I was going to follow through with what I had been saying for years. If I had another baby, then I would probably do cloth instead of disposable diapers.

I am not an earthy momma. Now I love the Earth, and we should all do our part to conserve our natural resources and harm as little as possible in our short stay here. But my cloth diaper decision was based solely on the fact that my oldest would get these rashes on his bottom that were clearly a reaction to the chemicals in his diapers. I decided that I would try to avoid that situation if we were to have another one.

I am a cautious momma. I was honestly quite concerned over the "yuck!" factor associated with cloth diapering. Life is a lot easier if you can just dump these things in the trash and be done with them. I got over it, but also, it wasn't as yucky as I feared. We've worked into a method. I've also had less "yuck" with blow out diapers and wet through outfits. Not that it hasn't happened, but it seems less frequent than it was with the "superior" disposables.

I have become a no-thank-you-Velcro momma. I didn't understand why anyone would want to go with snaps. Who knows where to fasten? How can you really get the best fit? Isn't that a little too "old school"? But when I kept pulling daisy chains of diapers out of the dryer and my little one was falling out of diapers due to lint-filled Velcro, then I knew it was time for a change.

I am now a snaps only, cloth diapering momma. There is a new diaper out that is still the one-size that I loved about the Velcro diapers, but with way more adjustments. The inserts are softer, the color choices are much better, the snaps are so much simpler than what I've seen before. So I took the plunge and ordered an assortment. I'm going to be cleaning up the Velcro and sending them on their way.

The picture today is of our new diapers before heading to the wash.


5 comments:

Gisela said...

I totally forgot you were a CD mama! I really wish I could keep on top of my laundry to do it, but I know I need to be realistic. Love the Fuzzi Bunz though!

Janeen said...

I really do love the CDs! If I can do it then you can do it! ;) I end up washing twice a week, and it works out pretty well. I do easily get behind in my laundry though. I swear it is never ever done. ;)

Janeen said...

Oh, and those new OS Fuzzi Bunz have totally overtaken the BumGenius in my book!

Jenny S said...

We did cloth too! Well, I guess it's not over yet. We use the cloth covers with a diaper inside for overnight now. She's five and they still fit - I'm thrilled about how much money I'm saving on pull-ups. Hooray!

Janeen said...

Yup! Us too. We have what we call a "night-time under". It's like big boy underwear (BIG underwear) with an insert inside. They work really well! The only problem is he's getting too big for them, but I'm resisting going to the next size up because he *almost* doesn't need them.

Post a Comment